Who we are:
Steelcase was founded as an office furniture maker, has evolved into the international leader in workplace solutions, and been touted among the “World’s Most Admired” companies per Fortune Magazine for the past decade. We apply our insights to the intersection of space, technology, and furniture, helping individuals and teams in leading companies around the world to be more successful at work.
We pursue innovation, strive for sustainability and develop insights in every part of our business.
Why people choose to work with us:
You will work within a global team from Grand Rapids, Michigan and interact with the design teams in Munich and Hong Kong to foster innovation translating into new space, new technologies, and high energy – manifesting Steelcase’s belief that spaces shape our thoughts and work. Although based in Grand Rapids, you will collaborate globally on a wide range of projects.
Grand Rapids, Michigan is home of the largest art competition in the world, as well as farm to table restaurants, microbreweries, philanthropy, theater, urban revitalization and an influx of healthcare and research development.
What you will be doing:
Steelcase Global Design is looking for a talented Senior Designer with architecture experience who is passionate about furniture, technology and how the evolving nature of work is impacting space. Steelcase Design is a highly collaborative, multi-disciplinary studio that is responsible for innovative products, showrooms, and employee work environments. This is an amazing opportunity to collaborate on diverse projects for Steelcase around the world.
Required Skills and Attributes for Success:
- Have worked for an architectural interiors firm and/or exhibit design firm and have cumulatively led each phase within various projects.
- Have a strong portfolio of work, showcasing the ability to conceptualize and work well in the ambiguous, front end of design. Portfolio must demonstrate aptitude in all phases of the design process and clearly depict the thinking behind each step in the process.
- Be highly empathetic and have a proven ability to research design problems and express design direction in clear, compelling frameworks.
- Work quickly and effectively through concept explorations in order to illustrate design problems in a story-telling format.
- Have an intuitive sense for complex architectural interiors balanced with an extreme eye for details.
- Define, own and clearly communicate, while helping cross-functional teams understand the design intent.
- Be a global citizen, constantly feeding your intellectual and visual curiosities.
- At least 5 years of hands on design experience. A minimum of an Interior Architecture, Architecture, or Interior Design or Environmental Design degree.
- Knowledge of construction means and building systems.
- Proficient in AutoCad, Sketch-up, and InDesign.
- Should have the ability to work in all phases of developing the idea from understanding needs to implementing the spatial solution.
- Relocation assistance will be provided
We are proud to have a diverse and inclusive workforce, and we’re always looking to get better. We value applicants who are comfortable interacting with people different than themselves. Women, people of any race or national origin, lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people, veterans, working mothers and fathers, and everyone else are all invited to apply.
Steelcase provides employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants without regard to race, color, creed, genetic information, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, or veteran status and bases all employment decisions only on valid job requirements.