Who’s There Group
Are you creative, upbeat, smart, and productive? Do you know the difference between “your” and “you’re”? Are you out in the world doing fun, interesting things? Do you hate stifling workplaces and the social pressure to wear suits?
Then we want YOU.
We are the Who’s There Group—Knock Knock, Emily McDowell Studio, and Sisters of Los Angeles—entrepreneurs who’ve gotten it DONE (and are still getting it done). We create witty, design-driven gifts and books, along with anything else that might strike our fancy. About fifty of us do everything from concepting, writing, and designing our books and gifts to overseeing the all-important logistical dynamics of manufacturing, sales, marketing and distribution. And we’re growing! We are looking for a Senior Designer to join the Emily McDowell Studio team.
Here are some of the qualities we’re looking for:
- Appreciation and exuberance for gift products, stationery, and books
- High level of creativity
- Energetic, positive attitude
- Great sense of humor
- Proactive nature
- Ability to take constructive feedback and pivot accordingly
If this sounds like you, then please read all the official stuff below and get in touch. We want to hear specifically why YOU want to work with US, and why WE want to work with YOU. Tell us your story in your awesome cover letter, and let us know the salary range you’re looking for. We don’t look at resumés that come in without cover letters or salary range info, and an awesome cover letter will demonstrate that you looked at our websites and social media feeds.
Senior Designer Role:
The senior designer role is dedicated to the design and production of materials that promote and maintain the overall personality and tone of the Emily McDowell Studio (EMS) brand. This individual will help design and execute both digital and print projects, including products and packaging, social media assets, lookbooks, catalogs, and other collateral. The Senior Designer reports directly to Emily McDowell, but will also have day-to-day interaction with members of the WTG marketing and production departments. This position is new, and it will be the only designer dedicated to the EMS brand besides Emily McDowell herself. The right individual will grow into an art director role as the department builds, helping to hire and manage an expanding team.
What You’d Be Doing:
- Assist Emily McDowell with new product development and execution of materials for both print and digital, including social media assets, lookbooks, and other collateral.
- Composite images and design email blitzes. Strong Photoshop skills are key.
- Research, hire, and direct freelance illustrators that fit within the EMS aesthetic. Experience working with freelance illustrators necessary.
- Proof product samples, mockups, press sheets, and bluelines, and conduct quality-control checks for all materials. Don’t let anyone tell you print is dead!
- Create project comps and mock-ups as necessary.
- Ensure all elements (aesthetics, color palette and artistic direction) are integrated for both online and offline collateral so the look and feel of EMS is consistent throughout.
- Maintain day-to-day liaison with the WTG marketing and production departments to determine project timelines, resources, and a smooth workflow.
- Develop direct-to-consumer promotions with Emily McDowell and the WTG marketing team.
- Explore new type design, illustration, photography as well as printing techniques that fit within the EMS brand aesthetic.
- Anticipate a workload that’s about 40 percent product and packaging design, 20 percent digital marketing design, 20 percent production (meaning, execution of digital files, vs. the creative design part), and 20 percent admin (because there’s always admin). As the department grows, anticipate devoting some of that time to managing others.
Experience and Characteristics You’ll Embody While Doing It:
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design or similar.
- Minimum 5 to 7 years’ experience in graphic and/or product design.
- Experience managing both projects and teams, including experience with ongoing direct reports.
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Cloud—InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat. Trust us, without these skills you are going to hate life.
- Strong conceptual and layout skills, with an eye for typography and color.
- Proven self-starter, highly organized and able to thrive in a fast-paced creative environment; detail-oriented. One more time, detail-oriented!
- Good communication skills, written and verbal. Just because you’re a visual person doesn’t mean you can’t talk and read good.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Strong Internet knowledge, usage, and interest in various social media outlets, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest (insert millennial joke here).
- Confident and grounded personality. You stay calm under pressure, play well with others, and appreciate work-life balance.
If you’re interested, please peruse our social channels and our websites at knockknockstuff.com, emilymcdowell.com, and sistersoflosangeles.com. Send your cover letter (mandatory! why do YOU want to work with US specifically?), desired salary range, and resumé to: email@example.com with subject line: EMS SENIOR DESIGNER. We offer competitive compensation and benefits. EOE. No phone calls, please.