Huntsman Architectural Group is an award winning architecture and interiors firm dedicated to elevating the human experience by designing places that connect, support, and inspire.
We create environments that authentically reflect the aspirations and values of our clients. Placing our clients’ business, brand, cultural, and environmental drivers ahead of a signature design style or formula results in inspiring spaces that create a sense of place, connect people, and have meaning.
Our services include strategic workplace consulting, interior design, and architecture across a wide array of project types with a focus on creativity, sustainability, and wellness. We maintain long-term collaborative partnerships with building tenants, owners, and operators in the commercial, institutional, educational, residential, and other sectors.
The firm was established in 1981 and is an ESOP employee-owned company. Our offices in San Francisco, New York, and Chicago are home to over 95 architects, interior designers, project managers, and support staff who are passionate about their work – explorers and innovators who never lose sight of our client’s vision. We maintain a fast-paced and fun work environment where team-based success is highly valued. We offer competitive salaries, benefits, and incentives and consider mentoring and continuous learning integral to the long-term professional development of our team members. Although the firm has been recognized with numerous design accolades and publications, maintaining meaningful connections with our clients and our local communities while contributing to the design profession is our priority.
About this Role
Designers are the creative engine of our project teams, pushing boundaries, exploring new territory, and solving complex challenges to help our clients achieve their vision. While influences come and go, at Huntsman, we seek to utilize our experience and expertise to build lasting and reliable solutions with a focus on wellness and sustainability. Our designers strive for substance in our work – technically, creatively, and socially. Our process is based on research, common sense, and always seeking creativity while avoiding stylistic trends. We design for our clients, not for our own egos.
Our project designers face a variety of challenges on a daily basis. From finding harmonious and code compliant solutions in a space plan to designing a beautiful and functional piece of casework within a budget. Being a designer means collaborating with partners like product manufacturers and engineers, and with an extended project team here at the office. Design is a team endeavor with creative expression and meaningful projects as the ultimate reward.
The Senior Interior Designer will be responsible for leading project design and execution for a variety of project types. They will be involved in all phases of the project delivery process and must have a working knowledge of this process. The Senior Interior Designer will work with, mentor, and interact with junior staff to encourage a high level of design and client satisfaction in all work produced.
- Partner with the office’s senior leadership – principals, designers, and architects – on elevating design ideas, values, and standards
- Act as lead designer for a variety of projects
- Lead design meetings with the client including visioning, programming, and detailed design
- Manage small to mid-size project teams
- Participate in all phases of project delivery, including coordination and preparation of documents
- Perform project site visits and field verification
- Interface directly with clients, contractors, consultants, and building and planning agencies
- Participate in marketing and business development including proposals, interviews, and PR efforts
- Mentor junior staff
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ownership and accountability for project- and firm-wide success
- High level of design creativity, aptitude, competence, and experience
- Ability to engage in a collaborative, team-based design process
- High level of knowledge of design research and FF&E
- Knowledge and experience in all phases of interior design / architectural project delivery
- Excels in a fast-paced team environment
- Desire and initiative to mentor junior staff within the office and at project site locations
- Working knowledge of state and local building and fire codes related to interior environments, including accessibility
- Computer savvy with strong skills in AutoCAD, Revit, MS-Office, and Adobe Creative Suite
- SketchUp and other 3D modeling skills are highly desired
- Hand sketching and conceptual drawing skills a plus
- Sustainable design experience, with a preference for hands-on LEED and/or WELL project participation
Education / Experience Requirements
- Bachelor Degree or higher in Interior Design or Architecture
- Minimum 10 years of experience working on interior design and/or architectural projects, with a primary focus on design for workplaces, commercial interiors, and tenant improvement projects
- Interior Design Certification and LEED or WELL accreditation strongly preferred