This is a senior position, requiring at least 8+ years of experience working at an interior design, architecture or related design firm. Senior Designers develop and execute appropriate design solutions for projects under the direction of the Principals and Directors; they must have the ability to lead project design teams and delegate work in a timely and constructive manner. Senior Designers have a thorough understanding of the firm’s design philosophy; they provide major input in developing a design concept and can effectively convey this to both assigned team members and clients.
Senior Designers must have excellent verbal and written communication skills and the flexibility to focus on a single client with a variety of project types or multiple, concurrent projects in various stages of development.
- With Directors, lead project teams through all phases of a project, including programming client needs, conceptual and schematic design, design development and construction drawings.
- Develop space planning concepts and generate program documents.
- Work with Directors to guide project vision and ensure detailing, finishes, furniture, and materials all align with project vision.
- Work with consultants, furniture dealers, product reps and fabricators to meet overall project objectives.
- Assist in managing client expectations, team communication and consultant coordination.
- Work with project architect and project team to ensure design intent is accurately interpreted in documents.
- Collaborate with building and permitting officials during permitting and construction phases of project.
- Demonstrate knowledge of building codes, standards and the ability to resolve complex technical and design issues.
- Create or implement project systems and an environment conducive to high-quality design and professionalism.
- Communicate design concepts and direction articulately and concisely to both the project team and the client.
- Ensure projects conform to contract and design specifications.
- Contribute to and reinforce the “team effort” method of producing design projects.
- Mentor and guide skill development of intermediate and junior staff.
- Pro-actively keep Principals and Directors informed of work status and seek clarification where appropriate.
- Identify issues, risks and conflicts and ask for assistance and/or delegate in a timely and constructive manner when required.