Remote Interior Designer
Job Type: Remote, Independent Contractor
Job Department: Design Team
Direct Report: Design Manager/ Business Owner
About Inspired Interiors, Inc.
Inspired Interiors is a full-service interior design and architecture firm, owned and operated by award-winning designer Emily Mackie. Inspired Interiors pushes boundaries to create tailor-made spaces that embolden clients to enjoy life in new, empowering ways. Our team has transformed hundreds of spaces including sleek city penthouses, stately suburban estates, high-powered corporate offices, and boutique hospitality spaces. At Inspired Interiors, we use design to transform the way clients live, love, work, and function. We are passionate about giving back and collaborate with community efforts and philanthropic events. To learn more about Inspired Interiors, visit http://inspiredinteriors.com/.
Summary of Position
Inspired Interiors has an immediate opening for an Interior Designer who is interested in a remote position that oversees elements of residential client projects. This core staff member should be confident working independently, have a track record of closing projects/leads without assistance, have reliable internet access and technology (laptop, desktop, smartphone, and/or tablet) that allows for video conferencing, and embody Inspired Interiors’ energetic and fast-paced work culture. The Interior Designer position is a mid-career opportunity.
This key member of the design team is responsible for interpreting, organizing, selling, and executing the conceptual design of residential projects. The Interior Designer will use creativity, foresight, sales techniques, and personal judgment to meet project requirements and carry out design completion. Self-motivation, a dynamic personality, and great interpersonal skills, in addition to technical building knowledge, are required. Below is a list of typical job duties:
- Execute the innovative design concepts as envisioned by Emily Mackie so they are practical as well as aesthetically stunning, yet are budget-minded, reflective of client goals, and profitable for the company.
- Create conceptual design renderings and prepare 2D and 3D client presentations using AutoCAD, SketchUp, and Revit programs.
- Conduct programming efforts for client projects including drafting budgets, space planning, layout, utilization of furnishings and equipment, lighting, and color coordination.
- Estimate material requirements and preliminary costs.
- Solicit construction bids and manage client projects by subcontracting fabrication, overseeing installation, and arrangement of materials, finishes, and furnishings as required.
- Communicate with vendors, contractors, and others to ensure incorporation of all project requirements.
- Prepare and conduct client meetings and presentations either solo or with the Design Manager.
- Meet with the Design Manager to report on project milestones, deadlines, and status updates.
- Select, specify, and track furniture, lighting, flooring, wall coverings, and plumbing fixtures for client projects.
Knowledge, Skills, and Activities
- Advanced knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in the production of precision technical plans, blueprints, interior elevations, and models.
- Advanced knowledge of building products, fixtures, equipment, and architectural/interior finishes.
- Advanced knowledge of design trends, construction methodology, and materials.
- Advanced knowledge of general building regulations, construction documents, and safety codes.
- Creative talent in conceptual design and rendering skills with AutoCAD, SketchUp, and Revit..
- Proven ability to prioritize, meet deadlines, exceed sales goals, and provide high-quality service to clients.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Reliable internet access and technology necessary to complete design tasks.
- Experience working in a remote/virtual environment.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s Degree in either Interior Design or Architecture and 8-10 years of interior design and/or architecture experience.
- Access to AutoCAD, SketchUp, and Revit programs at personal home office.
- Familiarity with and experience using Google Docs, Google Sheets, and Google Slides.
- Multi-family project experience preferred.
- Remote construction site management experience preferred.
- NCIDQ certification is preferred, but not required.
- US-based, remote position, with a semi-flexible schedule.
Compensation and Hours
- This is a part-time, contract position.
- Starting rate of $30/hour with the opportunity for increase after trial period.
- The daily work schedule is left to the discretion of the Designer, but the majority of availability should be during standard US business hours.
Beyond the specifications above, the ideal candidate would:
- Be authorized to work in the United States.
- Be energized by fast-paced work and high stake deadlines.
- Be an objectives oriented worker that achieves obstacles independently and doesn’t need an explicit to-do list from a supervisor to be successful.
- Possess excellent communication and organizational skills, and be detail-oriented.
- Takes responsibility for personal work and impact.
- Be personable, warm, and enjoyable to work with.
- Value working for a woman-owned business that respects work/life balance.
Please send a cover letter (emphasizing previous leadership and design experience), resume, and digital portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls, please. The position is immediately available for hire.
Inspired Interiors, Inc. is committed to recruiting and fostering a diverse community of staff. Women and traditionally underrepresented populations are encouraged to apply. AA/EOE
Inspired Interiors, Inc. is strongly committed to the principle of diversity and providing an equal employment opportunity in all terms and conditions of employment. All employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.