This position requires at least 5-8 years of experience working at an interior design, architecture or related design firm. Project Designers develop and execute appropriate design solutions for projects under the direction of the Principals and Directors; they must have the ability to work independently and the flexibility to both support and lead project design teams. Project Designers will work on larger, more complex design projects in a support capacity but may also serve as the lead on small to medium-sized projects.
Given this variety, the ability to work under pressure, prioritize and handle a number of concurrent projects and tasks is key. This position requires excellent verbal and written communication skills as well as excellent presentation abilities. Project Designers must possess good collaboration skills, the ability to communicate and comprehend design direction quickly and efficiently and be able to work well in a team environment.
- Collaborate on all phases of projects, including programming client needs, conceptual design, schematic design, design development, and construction documents.
- Develop space planning concepts and generate program documents.
- Prepare graphic materials for presentations to clients.
- Participate in the selection of appropriate furniture, finishes, and accessories.
- Prepare design development packages for client presentation.
- Perform field verifications and assist with site inspections for validation of design intent.
- Review shop drawings for design intent.
- Review mock-ups, materials and finish samples submitted by project contractors.
- Assist with preparation of design analysis and research and prepare required documents (i.e.. Block studies, workstation standards, planning modules, etc.)
- Work with consultants, contractors, fabricators and regulatory agencies to meet overall project objectives.
- Assist in managing client expectations, team communication, and consultant coordination.
- Contribute to office activities, initiatives, and learning programs. Contribute to an environment conducive to high-quality design and professionalism.
- Pro-actively keep Directors informed of work status and seek clarification where appropriate.
- Identify issues, risks, and conflicts and ask for assistance and/or delegate in a timely and constructive manner when required.