In order to be considered for this position, you must complete the following survey:
DEMDACO’s purpose statement is very simple; pursue business the way it ought to be done. We’re committed to the notion that business does not have to be solely a financial endeavor. It is first, and foremost, a human endeavor. Founded in 1997, DEMDACO offers a hand-selected collection of tailor-made products that celebrate how people live in their homes, engage with family and friends, and treat themselves.
DEMDACO products are as diverse as the people buying them, but we strive for them to have one important thing in common: to lift the human spirit. Our hope is to offer DEMDACO products that reflect a person’s desire to nurture goodness in their own lives and in the lives of others.
We have an immediate need for a Product Development Director to join our team!
Briefly describe the position responsibilities: The Product Development Director is accountable for the research, strategy, design, and production of consumer based products. They will ensure alignment of all product lines to the corporate creative vision. The role will lead a creative team consisting of product designers, package designers, and freelancers. A deep knowledge and experience in sourcing overseas in China and India are required. Products developed are within the home accents, baby gifts, and apparel accessory categories that are sold in boutiques, gift stores, hospitals, and mid-tier accounts.
The Product Development Director is responsible for executing all aspects involved in the product development process for hard goods & soft goods. Categories would include home accents, Fashion, and baby product sold in the gift industry. Product examples: hard goods would focus on wall art, home décor accents, table top, ceramics, tableware, and soft goods like apparel, plush, pillows.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. (Additional duties may be assigned.) Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The Product Development Director is accountable for the strategy, design, and production of consumer based products that align to the corporate product vision.
- Work within the product vision of the company and in alignment with the VP of Product Development to creative successful product lines.
- Directly lead staff and cross-functional teams to develop concepts. Translate the concepts into relevant product lines.
- Lead brainstorm sessions.
- Research and share marketplace trends to teams and partners.
- Partner with Product Marketing Directors to form line launch strategies, define costs, build revenue strategies, and maintain Gross Margin goals (GM).
- Partner with sourcing agents and factories to develop products in China and India.
- Partner with Sales to gain insight into the market and leverage learnings to inform product.
- Ensure ethical development and interaction with partners and vendors.
Competencies necessary for success in this job:
- Ability to visualize, conceptualize and imagine marketable product
- Exceptional brainstorming and creative conceptual abilities
- Strong business acumen
- Strong interpersonal skills. Dynamic leadership with a humble nature.
- A learning mindset.
- Ability to design to vendor capabilities, manufacturing limitations and development costs
- Strategic and proactive drive
- Exceptional communication skills.
- Ability to communicate succinct and effective written directions.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects.
Qualifications for this position: The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required:
- College degree preferred in art, design or related field.
- Experience in managing staff and cross-functional teams.
- Artistic background with 3-dimensional product or craft experience desirable.
- At least 5-7 years of previous art/design business experience required with strong portfolio of finished collections.
- Product Design and Development experience in the giftware/home décor field highly desirable
- Ability to work within a fast paced product development process
- Must possess excellent organizational skills with an ability to manage several different ongoing tasks at one time.
- Excellent and demonstrated proficiency in Photoshop /Illustrator and design related software programs required
- Fast paced
- Firm deadlines
- Complex projects with time definite intermediate deadlines
- Some lifting and carrying of products and merchandising materials in master cartons and shipping cartons for merchandising projects and trade shows
- Extensive travel overseas, to trade shows and showrooms for promotion, research or merchandising support and display