In order to be considered for this position, you must complete the following survey:
DEMDACO’s purpose statement is very simple; pursue business the way it ought to be done. We’re committed to the notion that business does not have to be solely a financial endeavor. It is first, and foremost, a human endeavor. Founded in 1997, DEMDACO offers a hand-selected collection of tailor-made products that celebrate how people live in their homes, engage with family and friends, and treat themselves.
DEMDACO products are as diverse as the people buying them, but we strive for them to have one important thing in common: to lift the human spirit. Our hope is to offer DEMDACO products that reflect a person’s desire to nurture goodness in their own lives and in the lives of others.
We have an immediate need for a Product Designer to join our team!
Briefly describe the position responsibilities: The Product Designer develops product solutions from concept to final design. The product designer is responsible for executing all aspects involved in the product development process for hard goods & soft goods. Categories would include home accents and baby product in the gift industry. Product examples: Wall art, home décor accents, table top, plush, ceramics, pillows, and tableware.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. (Additional duties may be assigned.) Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The Product Designer creates artwork for product development based on concepts generated in response to product plans and marketing objectives. Activities include but are not limited to:
- Work under direction of the Product Development Director to create viable products.
- Independently develop concepts and produce artwork for development into product.
- Actively participate in brainstorm sessions, researching the market and develop concepts.
- Develop new lines of their own design and produce art artwork for development
- Create artwork and specifications in concert with target pricing guidelines
- Provide input for sculpting and sample reviews.
- Assist with sample making and modeling
- Develop style-board creation specific to marketing and product plan needs.
Competencies necessary for success in this job:
- Ability to visualize, conceptualize and imagine marketable product
- Exceptional brainstorming and creative conceptual abilities
- Ability to be highly creative.
- Exceptional artistic ability and proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator)
- Ability to manipulate licensed artwork for adaptation to 3-dimensional product
- Ability to design to vendor capabilities, manufacturing limitations and development costs
- Ability to take initiative, work independently, propose ideas and bring them to life.
- Exceptional visual communication skills.
- Ability to communicate succinct and effective written directions.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects.
- Ability to develop product within cost targets.
Experience and Skills
Qualifications for this position: The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required:
- College degree preferred in art, design or related field.
- Artistic background with three dimensional product or craft experience desirable.
- At least 5 years of previous art/design business experience required with strong portfolio of finished artwork and demonstrated ability to spec art for three dimensional reproduction.
- Product Design and Development experience in the giftware/home décor field highly desirable
- Ability to work within a fast paced product development process
- Must possess excellent organizational skills with an ability to manage several different ongoing tasks at one time.
- Excellent and demonstrated proficiency in Photoshop /Illustrator and design related software programs required
Current Supervisory Responsibilities: N/A
- Fast paced
- Firm deadlines
- Complex projects with time definite intermediate deadlines
- Some lifting and carrying of products and merchandising materials in master cartons and shipping cartons for merchandising projects and trade shows
- Moderate travel to trade shows and showrooms for promotion, research or merchandising support and display