Who’s There Group
Are you creative, upbeat, smart, and productive? Do you know the difference between “your” and “you’re”? Are you out in the world doing fun, interesting things? Do you hate stifling workplaces and the social pressure to wear suits?
Then we want YOU.
We are the Who’s There Group—Knock Knock, Emily McDowell Studio, and Sisters of Los Angeles—entrepreneurs who’ve gotten it DONE (and are still getting it done). We create witty, design-driven gifts and books, along with anything else that might strike our fancy. About fifty of us do everything from concepting, writing, and designing our books and gifts to overseeing the all-important logistical dynamics of manufacturing, sales, marketing and distribution. And we’re growing! We are looking for a Marketing Copywriter to join our expanding Marketing department.
- Here are some of the qualities we’re looking for:
- Appreciation and exuberance for gift products, stationery, and books
- High level of creativity
- Energetic, positive attitude
- Great sense of humor
- Proactive nature
- Ability to take constructive feedback and pivot accordingly
If this sounds like you, then please read all the official stuff below and get in touch. We want to hear specifically why YOU want to work with US, and why WE want to work with YOU. Tell us your story in your awesome cover letter. We don’t look at resumés that come in without one, and an awesome cover letter will demonstrate that you looked at our websites and social media feeds.
What You’d Be Doing:
- Write, edit, and proofread a large volume of printed and digital marketing and sales pieces, including (but not limited to) catalogs, one-sheets, email blitzes, online product descriptions, campaign collateral, and author bios—ensuring copy is smart, witty, clear, compelling, accurate, and on-brand (voice- and tone-wise).
- Administer and oversee the completion of all three brands’ catalogs—not only writing and editing copy, but also managing and ushering them through the machine. This role will work with various teams across the board to ensure all product info—including pricing, sku numbers, and sample item spreads—is accurate, vetted, and approved, all while sticking to a tight schedule.
- Use and apply best metadata and SEO practices to new and existing product titles and descriptions.
- Work closely with the Social Media Community Manager to make sure all social media posts and customer-facing answers are creative, engaging, and witty.
- Outsource and manage freelance copywriters and proofreaders as needed, prioritizing projects and adhering to deadlines.
- Capture customer endorsements, quotes, and reviews for products.
Characteristics You’ll Embody While Doing It:
- Superior writing, copy-editing, and proofreading skills, with an editor’s meticulous eye for design.
- A natural propensity to write in the brand voices of all three Who’s There Group brands, including nailing Knock Knock’s dry, sharp wit. An ironic sense of humor is a plus!
- Ability to write fast and accurately for multiple audiences.
- Strong portfolio showcasing creative and strategic writing capabilities.
- Demonstrates clear understanding of SEO techniques and tools.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in advertising, marketing, communication, or journalism.
- Minimum of 4 years experience in copywriting at an advertising agency, brand, or publisher.
- Displays strong passion for the Who’s There Group brands.
- Tendency to thrive in fast-paced, dynamic environment with periodic crunches for deadlines, staying focused and calm under pressure. The ability to multitask is critical, as is the tendency to look at the clock and think, “Is it 6:00 p.m. already?” rather than “When will it be 6:00 p.m.? Seems like forever.”
- Very strong project management skills—taking the initiative to define next steps on any given project (and run with them!).
- Keen attention to detail. Highly organized with ability to keep track of own schedule and deliverables.
- Excellent people skills and ability to communicate effectively with external partners and internal stakeholders. Friendly and personable.
- Fluent in Microsoft Office (especially Word and Excel) and facility with computers overall. Experience in Adobe Creative Suite is a plus.
- Knowledge and interest in social media and video platforms including, but not limited to, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Pinterest, YouTube, and Vimeo.
- Technically savvy: comfortable with content management software (especially WordPress and Shopify); and unflappable when learning new software. Knowledge of WooCommerce, Mailchimp, Google Analytics, and/or any other e-commerce, email marketing, or web analytics solutions is a plus.
- Desire to learn and grow in a professional capacity. Openness to feedback and guidance.
- Strong team spirit, integrity, and a penchant for swearing.
If you’re interested, please peruse our social channels and our websites at knockknockstuff.com, emilymcdowell.com, and sistersoflosangeles.com. Send your cover letter (mandatory! why do YOU want to work with US specifically?) and resumé to: firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line: Marketing Copywriter. We offer competitive compensation and benefits. EOE. No phone calls, please.