The Rug Company is looking for a creative, well-organized, and enthusiastic junior designer to join our busy design studio on a part-time basis.
We are an interiors company who work with some of the world’s leading designers in various fields, to create rug collaborations as well as designing our own in-house collections. We use traditional production techniques to keep the craft alive, artisanship is important to us.
We are a small team of two full-time designers. Due to an increasingly busy schedule, we are looking to add another member to support our sales team with custom and bespoke designs. We do absolutely everything in-house, therefore the work is varied so it’s important the candidate is excited about all areas of design that we offer.
The ideal candidate will have a background in graphic design as opposed to pattern/textile design, as basic layout, artworking and typography skills are in daily use. Nevertheless, an appreciation of colour and composition is essential and an interest in interior design is a bonus. Communication is a key part of the job, spending time with the sales people and attending client meetings when necessary will be very important.
Based in our New York Soho office, the job entails assisting the studio and the sales teams with the creation of technically skilled custom and bespoke designs that meet client and production requirements.
– Pattern development: customizing existing designs and creating bespoke work according to each project.
– Communication: directly with the showrooms and attending client meetings when necessary.
– Digital: gathering imagery for social media from bespoke and custom projects.
– Bachelors Degree; degree in design or related field.
– Proficient in Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign.
– High attention to detail with the ability to comprehend pattern in repeat, scale and color.
– Highly organized with experience in working on multiple projects within tight deadlines.
– Excellent communication skills.
How to apply:
Please send a cover letter, resume with relevant experience and a digital portfolio (PDF or webpage) to RecruitmentUS@therugcompany.com