See the world in typefaces and pantone palettes? Believe craft, quality, and details matter at every brand touch point? Crave to use your design skills as a force for good?
The Citizenry is searching for an Art Director / Graphic Designer with strong digital design skills to concept and craft an inspiring brand experience through best-in-class visual storytelling. With refined taste and an edited eye, you will design within an established identity while working to push the brand forward on both online and offline channels.
You will work director with our Brand Marketing Director, Co-Founder/CMO, and Marketing/E-Commerce teams to ideate and actualize thoughtfully-designed web experiences and campaigns (including emails, digital assets, packaging, post cards, and our first ever, editorial catalog). You will think strategically and create relentlessly with a passion and dedication to the craft.
The cherry on top? You work will progress The Citizenry’s brand mission, helping preserve artisanal craftsmanship and providing sustainable income to thousands of artisans around the world.
Overall goal: Create compelling content that aims to sell as well as celebrate the best craftsmanship from around the globe. This means making everything you touch more beautiful and “breakthrough.”
The ideal candidate has a background in advertising and/or retail/e-commerce marketing. Bonus points if you’ve help build a high-end consumer brand (startup experience a plus).
What you will be charged with day-to-day:
- Author brand guidelines and identity across product, media and content channels
- Conceive and create web graphics and marketing collateral consistent with brand image
- Own marketing emails, digital ads, web projects and photo curation, and printed pieces
- Collaborate closely with brand leadership to develop new campaign ideas and initiatives
- Think strategically to identify the impact of product, brand, user experience for the business
- Conceive, create and deliver assets that are both visually compelling and strategically sound
- Execute design strategies and workflows against schedules and budgets (everything must not just be pretty, but also have a purpose and plan behind it)
- Bachelor’s degree is required; Advanced degrees/certificates are a plus
- 3-8 years crafting visual assets (and creative ideas) in a fast-moving work environment
- Expert knowledge of Adobe Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop)
- Strong brand understanding with a refined taste for tones, typography, and grid systems
- Ability to create across channels, strong skills for email, site, packaging, and editorial work
- In a pinch, can craft copy and put together “the whole picture” across any channel
- Comfortable quickly pivoting, iterating, and creating multiple versions of a campaign idea
- Significant knowledge of and curiosity for the ever-changing digital landscape
- Fast-working, detailed and thoughtful. Prefers a team “all hands-on deck” environment
- “Startup Flexible”: You handle ambiguity, serve up clarity, want to chart new territories while working within brand parameters to meet business goals
- Passion for the job and The Citizenry’s brand vision and mission
ABOUT THE CITIZENRY:
The Citizenry is a modern home decor brand created to inspire people to fill their homes with more meaningful items crafted by the best artisans around the world. By selling directly to consumers online, we’re able to offer handcrafted, luxury-quality home goods at more reasonable prices than high-end boutiques. We also believe our designs are only as beautiful as the environments in which they are made, so social innovation is an integral part of our model. In addition to providing fair wages and working environments for all artisan partners, 10% of proceeds are invested back into artisan communities worldwide.
Since launching in August 2015, The Citizenry has been featured in The New York Times, The Financial Times, Vogue, Rue Magazine, Lonny Magazine, Domaine Home, and Apartment Therapy.
Some benefits and perks of working at The Citizenry:
- Equity in a rapidly growing company
- Flexible “My Time” vacation policy
- Health, dental, and vision insurance + Fitness & Wellness reimbursement
- Inspiring office environment stocked with craft coffee and healthy snacks
- Friday breakfasts from the team’s favorite places
- Allowances and discounts for really pretty home goods
- Relocation package, if needed
If you’re excited by this role, we’re excited to hear from you. Send an email to email@example.com including your answers to the questions below (no cover letter required). Title the email “Art Director / Graphic Designer”– [Your Name]” and attach your resume along with a link to your portfolio or online work that best illustrates the qualities outlined in the description.
- What is your 140-character (limit) manifesto or biography? Get creative.
- Choose a product or collection and suggest a visual tactic to deepen the story behind it.