Who’s There Group
Are you creative, upbeat, smart, and productive? Do you know the difference between “your” and “you’re”? Are you out in the world doing fun, interesting things? Do you hate stifling workplaces and the social pressure to wear suits?
Then we want YOU.
We are the Who’s There Group—Knock Knock, Emily McDowell Studio, and Sisters of Los Angeles—entrepreneurs who’ve gotten it DONE (and are still getting it done). We create witty, design-driven gifts and books, along with anything else that might strike our fancy. About fifty of us do everything from concepting, writing, and designing our books and gifts to overseeing the all-important logistical dynamics of manufacturing, sales, marketing and distribution. And we’re growing! We are looking for an experienced Designer to join the Knock Knock team.
- Here are some of the qualities we’re looking for:
- Appreciation and exuberance for gift products, stationery, and books
- High level of creativity
- Energetic, positive attitude
- Great sense of humor
- Proactive nature
- Ability to take constructive feedback and pivot accordingly
If this sounds like you, then please read all the official stuff below and get in touch. We want to hear specifically why YOU want to work with US, and why WE want to work with YOU. Tell us your story in your awesome cover letter and let us know the salary range you’re looking for. We don’t look at resumés that come in without cover letters or salary range info, and an awesome cover letter will demonstrate that you looked at our websites and social media feeds.
The designer role is dedicated to the development of all Knock Knock products, from concept to completion. This individual will design products, books, packaging, and other materials. The Designer reports directly to the Creative Director but will also have day-to-day interaction with other departments including editorial, production, manufacturing, and sales.
What You’d Be Doing:
- Under the direction of the Creative Director, concept, design, and manage multiple Knock Knock projects per season.
- Create project comps and mock-ups as necessary.
- Proof product samples, mockups, press sheets, and bluelines, and conduct quality-control checks for all materials.
- Explore new type design, illustration, photography as well as printing techniques that fit within (and evolve) the Knock Knock brand aesthetic.
- Research, hire, and direct freelance illustrators. Experience working with freelance illustrators necessary.
- Anticipate a workload that’s about 60 percent product and packaging design, 20 percent production (meaning, execution of digital files, vs. the creative design part), and 20 percent admin (because there’s always admin).
Experience and Characteristics You’ll Embody While Doing It:
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design or similar.
- Minimum 4 to 7 years’ experience in graphic and/or product design.
- Experience managing both projects and teams, including experience with ongoing direct reports.
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Cloud—InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat. Trust us, without these skills you are going to hate life.
- Strong conceptual and layout skills, with an eye for typography and color.
- Proven self-starter, highly organized and able to thrive in a fast-paced creative environment; detail-oriented. One more time, detail-oriented!
- Good communication skills, written and verbal. Just because you’re a visual person doesn’t mean you can’t talk and read good.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Confident and grounded personality. You stay calm under pressure, play well with others, and appreciate work-life balance.
If you’re interested, please peruse the Knock Knock social media channels and website at knockknockstuff.com. Send your cover letter (mandatory! why do YOU want to work with US specifically?) and resumé to: firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line: KNOCK KNOCK DESIGNER. We offer competitive compensation and benefits. EOE. No phone calls, please.