Gensler’s Oakland office is a small, entrepreneurial group of design professionals serving the local client community. The rest of the world is now recognizing what we have known for quite some time—that the East Bay is an ideal location for business, leisure activities and the arts. Oakland is at the heart of a resurgence of community spirit and economic growth that is bringing vigor to urban neighborhoods and spreading new business opportunities throughout the East Bay. Oakland is our destination because we believe that we can contribute to positive changes in the business community, foster growth in the neighborhoods and help shape the cityscape as Oakland re-imagines its future. From the busy nexus of commerce that is Oakland, we can better serve both our local East Bay and our global clients. As a leading Bay Area-headquartered design firm, we can offer our clients specifying power, strong vendor and dealer relationships, and a wide range of resources in the design and corporate sectors. We have the power to help bring about change.
A Design Manager at Gensler works with autonomy to be responsible for execution of a variety of project types and sizes and will lead all phases of projects. He or she will be involved in all phases of the project delivery and must have a working knowledge of this process with the ability to deliver the successful completion of a project. A Design Manager will work/interact with and mentor junior staff to encourage a high level of design and ensure client satisfaction through being the main point of contact for the client in all work produced.
- Manage multiple aspects of client, team and project coordination, including full documentation coordination
- Manage client relationships and team communication
- Resolve complex technical and design issues
- Maintain the project manual and specifications
- Conduct on-site observations and document site reviews
- Construction Administration including the processing of submittals, RFIs, substitution requests, etc. during construction
- Interface with building and permitting officials during the permitting and construction phases of the project
- Prepare observation reports during construction
- Assist in project close-out efforts including punch lists
- Bachelor’s degree and 15+ years comprehensive experience as a project manager on a range of architecture and interiors projects
- Experience with the entire project lifecycle, through post-occupancy
- Experience leading, managing and mentoring multiple project teams, including the ability to create and communicate clear and attainable project objectives and requirements
- Experience preparing project proposals, negotiating contracts and fees, and coordinating the bidding process
- Knowledge of building codes, standards and building structures
- Proven fiscal accountability and responsibility
- Strong leadership, organization, communication and relationship management skills
For consideration, please submit resume in PDF format.
Gensler is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.