Chilewich, a privately-owned family business, has built a world-renowned brand from the ground up. Designing textiles and producing finished products for both residential and commercial interiors is our passion. On the cusp of big growth, we have just completed a deep 6-month brand study and creative exploration in preparation for the next chapter.
As part of our growth we are excited to share a new, exciting opportunity for a Design Assistant. This position would join our small design team and work alongside the Design Director and Master Weaver/Designer in the NYC studio. The atmosphere at Chilewich is creative and experimental and all product design is done by hand- painting, drawing, weaving, dying. This position is a unique opportunity for a creative and motivated individual with a passion for textiles and surface pattern to participate in the dialogue and development of a design focused and industry recognized brand.
- Assist in the design, development, and execution of new product lines for table, floor, hospitality, and contract.
- Communicate with vendors and maintain an ongoing interaction and supervision to ensure proper development and timely delivery of development samples
- Support design team in all design / development related tasks.
- Participate as a team member from concept though execution of original designs which express the unique Chilewich brand.
- Provide specs and clear instructions of all new products to Chilewich Production team in order to transition smoothly from design to sampling and ultimately to production
- Understand and implement seasonal calendars to prioritize projects to meet deadlines
- Update and maintain library of past and current materials in the studio
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Fine Art, Surface Pattern, Textile, Industrial or Product Design
- Experience 1-3 years in design industry
- Creative and aesthetic design point of view compatible to the Chilewich vision.
- In depth understanding of design work with proven experience
- In depth fine art/design knowledge
- Dedication to improving and designing processes to increase efficiency
- Impeccable organizational skills, the ability to multitask and a “no job is too small” attitude.
- Strong proficiency in Illustrator, Photoshop and Office software
- Excellent verbal and written communication