You can make a salary. Or you can make a difference. Or you can work as a Senior Manager of Communications and Media at Herman Miller and make both.
About this Opportunity
As a Senior Manager of Communications and Media, you’ll provide strategic direction and leadership for all activities focused on maintaining and building upon Herman Miller’s brand promotion and corporate image. You will provide overall administrative direction for all media relationship programs and media engagement activities. You’ll also consult, guide, and work with global business partners to ensure media and communication programs and systems are managed in ways that reflect our culture, values, and philosophies about corporate branding and image.
What You’ll Do
You’ll have opportunities to speak up, solve problems, lead others, and be an owner every day as you…
- Act as a strategic leader in promoting the corporate brand. You will be a proactive and enthusiastic steward of the corporate image.
- Act as Corporate Representative and Communications Lead in interactions with local, state, and federal governments and agencies.
- Assist the Treasurer with Investor Relations and related communications support.
- Develop, implement, and oversee the media strategy for the corporation.
- Exhibit a keen understanding of the (“new” and “old”) media landscape, including the unique aspects of each market, and generate strategies that take advantage of this to support business objectives.
- Foster and engage relationships with key media partners. You will determine who we should be talking to and through for all vertical businesses.
- Help target key media venues for conversations based on our internal vertical business priorities (programs, events, and launches) aligned to external audiences.
- Oversee all press relations and media promotion activities for Herman Miller, Inc.
- Oversee all promotion for corporate content—from social responsibility to brand storytelling. You will work to establish a network of sympathetic journalists and media partners to create and distribute Herman Miller content.
- Participate in key brand planning and prioritization activities. You’ll add key input to the Marketing calendar based on your media landscape observations.
- Partner with Product Management and Marketing leaders globally to provide strategy and direction for media and audience engagement.
- Partner with outside agencies and external resources as necessary, and oversee all external media relationships.
- Perform additional responsibilities as requested to achieve business objectives.
Sound Like You?
You might be just who we’re looking for if you have…
- A Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Affairs, Marketing, Business Administration, or another applicable academic discipline. A Master’s degree in Communications, Public Affairs, Marketing, Business Administration, or another applicable academic discipline is preferred.
- Eight years of professional experience in communications and media relationship activities.
- A deep understanding of the Herman Miller culture and established relationships throughout the company.
- A proven ability to lead and influence others at all levels of the organization by using strong positioning and negotiating skills.
- A deep understanding of the Herman Miller brand mission, position, and tenets.
- Successful experience with media, public affairs, branding, and crisis communications.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and proven track record of implementing programs which increase global brand awareness, media relations favorability, and enhanced positive brand and product perception.
- A proven ability to innovate, inspire, and motivate others to a course of action.
- An awareness of and sensitivity to diverse cultures.
- An expert ability to think strategically and execute tactically. You must also be financially literate and possess well-developed business acumen.
- Current knowledge of the digital tools, media, and strategies used to promote corporate and brand awareness.
- A demonstrated ability to effectively use the office automation, communication, software, and tools currently being used in the Herman Miller office environment.
- Demonstrated leadership competence as defined in Herman Miller’s Leadership Competency Model.
- Proven strategic thinking, project planning, and program implementation skills.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills, including exceptionally strong written and oral communication abilities.
- Demonstrated experience in managing and developing talent and coaching and consulting.
- The ability to perform all essential job functions with or without accommodations.
Who We Are
At Herman Miller, our unique culture represents the collective attitudes, ideas, and experiences of the people who work here. We focus on protecting the environment, impacting our communities, exceeding the expectations of our customers through high quality products, and championing diversity in all areas of the business, and together we are on a journey toward a better world. We support the well-being of our employees in and outside of work by providing a variety of opportunities including award-winning work-life integration resources, development programs, complex health and wellness offerings, and much more.
Herman Miller is a globally recognized provider of furnishings and related technologies and services. Headquartered in West Michigan, we have relied on innovative design for over 100 years to solve problems for people wherever they work, live, learn, and heal.
Herman Miller is committed to diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer including veterans and people with disabilities.